Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Just for Today



       Today has been a bit crazy. Remembering where I was back 12 years ago. Sitting in a chair at school thinking what was playing on TV was just a movie, not a live news cast from here in the U.S. Probably still in a drunken stupor from the night before. Even at a young age I still manged to have no control over my disease. I felt I could hide when I was drinking before or during class. The complete insanity in my head. Today I am much clearer! It feels good to feel true emotions and realize what they are coming from. I pray for those people who were in NY and those families who were touched by the tragic events.  It is a fact that stress and trauma can trigger the disease of addiction.  Knowing my triggers was one great step in my recovery. Being able to talk about my past and present with another person. Getting a real perspective on my screwed up thinking.  


911


How We Cope: What Do Addiction Rates After 9/11 Tell Us?

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/09/09/how-we-cope-what-addiction-and-recovery-rates-after-911-tell-us/#ixzz2ecFfZeqs



If you are feeling like you are all alone and there is no other way.  You are not alone! I am here to say it can get better! It does get better!! People can live a life of Recovery! We offer a few different kinds of meetings here on campus.  We also have a safe place where you can go talk to people who have been through similar experiences (SHC room 121.) Addiction is a deadly disease. I've seen people who never made it out. It hurts to know that the disease of addiction is nondiscriminatory and non-bias, but there is hope!

My life has never been so filled with so many amazing opportunities.  Sometimes it can get overwhelming but I have to remember my problems are "problems of privilege." For example I've got an exam tomorrow and still feel like I know absolutely nothing about the subject. The problem of privilege would be that I'm privileged enough to be in school. Not everyone has that opportunity! I need to be grateful for this second chance recovery has given me. Sometimes I can just get caught up with things that are really not even an issue. That is where my friends in recovery come into place and set my crazy thinking back and bring me back to the moment I am in. 

Every Wednesday night SHC(Student Health Center) CRC room 121 we have game night for those in recovery and those who support recovery. This is to bring a little stress relief and fun into our recovery! Being in Recovery is fun! Haha I thought there was just going to be a bunch of boring people when I was first sobering up. Come to find out, a lot of what I thought was very wrong. My outlook on life was very skewed I now can see that a lot more clearly. Come stop by and join in on the great fun we have!

As a good friend always says "Thank you for baring with my sharing"

Young People In Recovery
http://youngpeopleinrecovery.org/

UNCC CRC
http://wellness.uncc.edu/collegiate-recovery-community-crc

Faces and Voices of Recovery
http://facesandvoicesofrecovery.org/about/

Free adiction Hotline
http://www.freeaddictionhelpline.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment