Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Collegiate Recovery!


Just found this old video and wanted to share!




I remember when we first made this and how nervous I was to share with such a large audience. I had spoken many times in meetings but was very fearful of having something recorded. What if I relapse? What if I don't make any since when I'm speaking? What if...what if?? What if it helps someone seek out the help they need? Helping others and doing my best each day is all I am able to do. I've been told that other people will get you drunk before you can get them sober. I'm not here to tell people they need help. I'm here to share my experience, strength and hope with anyone who is willing to stick around.

This program has come so far! We had three people just today turn in their CRC applications!!
CRC Application link Last year we gave away four $1,000 scholarships!



We took a trip to the Collegiate Recovery Conference and met so many amazing people-- one of which happens to be a transfer here this semester! It is just amazing how people are put in our lives for so many reasons that we can't even fathom at the time.








All these opportunities have been freely given to us, and it still amazes me everyday that I am so blessed to be a part of this amazing program. The relationships and friendships that I have formed have made my college experience so much better. I want to be present and get involved. I know know that my recovery always comes first, and I wouldn't be able to be here if not for it.  Sometimes I can lose sight of that when school gets hectic. I need my fellow students to bring be back down to earth and show me that everything will be fine if I'm putting forth the footwork.

The AA meetings on campus have been going up and down with attendance. Sometimes there are too many people for all the seats, and other semesters there may be 4 or 5 of us. NA hasn't caught on as much, but it is still our first year having it at UNC-Charlotte. So if anyone has advice on how to increase campus participation at meetings, please let us know. We are always looking for suggestions. It is pretty amazing to see the program keep growing and see how far other schools have come as well.





Out at Triple Play Farm for of equine therapy seminar!





Team building at the US National Whitewater Center








We have been so blessed to be able to all share in these experiences and help each other through all the tough times. Sometimes it is hard to relate to a college student without being one. Try being a college student in recovery. Yes, we are the few who can relate on all those levels. It really makes a difference to be able to have this safe place and group of people who really understand.





Having the support of faculty and staff who truly believe in us as students and want to see the best for us has been very encouraging. I use to avoid any type of authority at any cost. Now I know a lot of people on campus. I have learned to utilize my resources and ask for help. I know asking for help is this new big thing in recovery, and I didn't think too highly of it until I saw how well it really works.  For example, being able to speak to my professors on a one-on-one level has helped me see that they are there to support me as a student. I'm not saying I tell everyone I meet my entire story but for the most part people understand or at least sympathize.





It is truly the little things in life that add to my happiness! Please follow our blog if you aren't already! :)
Have a blessed day and remember your Recovery comes first. Otherwise you wouldn't have those problems of privilege, which can be so simple as having the opportunity to be in college. I am so grateful!





No comments:

Post a Comment