Thursday, October 10, 2013

Standing Tall for Recovery

 We made it on the front page of UNC Charlotte's web page!


 Its amazing to see that students are becoming more aware of recovery on our campus! 

Yesterday was The Center for Wellness Promotion's big October event, OctSober Fest! Students came out to participate in the fun and games, while of course learning about health and wellness. There were tables set up on sexual health, relationship health, nutritional health, recovery and alcohol awareness. Along with fun and games thanks to Venture, Rec Services, GAMMA, RSA, Scarowinds, the Police Department and many more. Thank you to everyone who came out to volunteer and participate!!! It goes to show how much fun can be had without drinking or using drugs. Back years ago I would have told you that the idea of doing anything without a drink would have been crazy. Now I know that everything is so much better without it!

The support from other students is such a huge part in my recovery and education. I'm really not sure how I would still be here, in college, without these amazing people helping me. School has not been easy this time around but I believe that all good things come with challenges. The second chance and opportunity was given so freely to me, now is my time to put down the footwork and ask for help when it is needed.
I'm not sure why asking for help can be the hardest part of using the tools, but for me that phone can be so heavy when it is time to pick it up. Even writing an email to a Professor to get help. There are so many resources here on campus that are available! Why can it be so difficult to just utilize them?

Knowing what needs to be done and actually doing it is the difference between staying the same and changing. Change is necessary for my continual recovery. We must remain teachable! Everything we go through helps us learn and grow. I am so grateful that today I can see when things need to change and have amazing people who are willing to help. The support I receive is just so amazing!

Today I am grateful. Today all I can do is my best and sometimes by best is poor. Either way all I can do today is try! One day at a time, one moment at a time, one second at a time. I am a young person in long-term recovery, a college student, a employee, a daughter, a girlfriend, and most of all a friend. I can be all these things if my recovery comes first! Balance helps to maintain everything and finding that balance has been the hardest thing for me lately. This to shall pass. I know the sayings but sometimes its hard to see. You just have to believe!

No comments:

Post a Comment